Re: ethner card problem

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:16:56PM +0900, ulrike@example.com wrote:

> > What do you get for "cardctl ident"?
>
> debian:/home/uli# cardctl ident
> Socket 0:
>   no product info available
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "Megahertz", "XJ4336-CC4336", "V.34+ Data/Fax/Cell/Vox"
>   manfid: 0x0102, 0x0027
>   function: 2 (serial)

Wow.  I take back what I said.  Your problem is different from mine.

> Here is the problem, it seems, it cannot find the module. I had forgotten to
> install the modules, installed them now, still no luck:
>
> insmod: pcnet_cs: no module by that name found

Yep.  Different problem.  :-)

> But I just saw they don't fit to the kernel version: the modules are for kernel
> 2.2.17 and I have 2.0.

Get source for the PCMCIA package and recompile.  Easy to do.  Eliminates
all of these mismatch worries.

> So I guess I have to upgrade the kernel, haven't done that in a long time, is
> there some really easy way instead of recompiling, some debian package I can
> simply install?

You're better off with a locally compiled kernel.  Always.  Use make
menuconfig to set up the options you want for the compile, set the compiler
in motion, and go home, or go to lunch, or open a favorite book -- anything
but watch the compiler messages scroll up the screen.  It needn't ruin your
day.

> On the other machine the modules are installed, but maybe the versions also
> don't fit, I get:
>
> MTP:~# insmod pcnet_cs Using /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
> /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ethdev_init
> /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
> /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init

Use modprobe instead of insmod.  It will automatically attempt to install
any modules on which your target module depends.  Insmod just does the one.

> But the strange thing is that dpkg does not list pcmcia-modules as being
> installed ...??? Only pcmcia-cs ... Well, and on the other machine I don't get
> any message about unresovled symbols, but I just installed the modules. Now I am
> confused ...

Get the source for PMCIA (aka pcmcia-cs) and compile it on your target
machine.  Then you're on stable ground.  Until then, it's hard to know what
is going on in there...

Cheers,
----
-x80