Re: new webpage: rikai.com

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Ulrike Schmidt wrote:

> What do you think about kaksi? It is GPLed, I heard chasen's license is a
> bit unclear.

  I used to use kakasi a lot, it works reasonably well. The dictionary is
pretty poor and it always does a 1->1 mapping, which isn't really possible
with Japanese.
  For the longest time I used a key binding in screen which ran a little
script, which grabbed the x-selection, used agrep to find the
closest-match word in edict, converted kana to romaji, and output the
control chars to put the reading and definition into the title bar. It
worked really really well--if people are interested I'll dig it up. On the
other hand, I may be the last person on earth using a full-screen xterm
with gnu screen (a home grown x-windows wyse terminal emulator, in
effect.)--but maybe the same thing could be bound to characters with some
other native-X program? Dunno.

cheers,
Todd