Re: tlug: in subject

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 01:42:39AM +0200, Fredric Fredricson wrote:

> In my small experience trying to get a .procmailrc file that sorts
> on address fields is an uphill battle. Sooner or later some detail
> change or somebody is creative or something and, guess what, you
> have to add another line to the .procmailrc file.

Agreed. But I'm not sure I see how having procmail sort mailing lists
based on the "Subject:" or the "Reply-to:" fields would make things
any easier. All it takes is a change in format, or a mailing list
software upgrade (like the one tlug had this week; I think that I was
sorting on the "Sender:" field before this) to make things go wacky
with procmail. In other words, no matter what you do, weird stuff can
and will happen.

However, I still stand by my original advice. *Lots* of mailing lists
(at least the ones that I subscribe to) set a header field like
"Resent-From:" or "Sender:" to help people who sort their mail by
indicating which mailing list was doing the resending. Like I said
before, that's what it's there for. Tlug used to include the
"Sender:" field, now it uses "Resent-From:"; I guess the new mailing
list software does things a little differently than the old.

That said, I suppose there's nothing wrong with sorting on another
field. Whatever works, right?

--
jseebach@example.com