Re: tlug: Mozilla, uh, M15

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 08:07:32PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Hey, this is pretty cool
> 	     LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" mozilla
> actually allows you to Japanese input via XIM.

It's worked since M14, actually, which is what I'm using right now
when I need to search for something on the web in Japanese. I've
never felt the need to try M15 (because after all, who has time to
download 20+ MB of source at NTT rates if it's just going to crash
anyway?).

Actually, scratch that. I usually pull out a few healthy chunks of
hair because mozilla crashes as soon as I've found what I was looking
for.  Then, swearing to myself I'll never run mozilla again, start
over with w3m in rxvt.  You'd think I'd learn.

> Of course the status window appears as a separate popup window, not
> necessarily on the same desktop as your Mozilla window, and you have
> to focus on the root window to actually input any Japanese, and the
> preedit data ends up in the text window that expects input and doubles
> up when the candidate is confirmed (but without ending up in the input
> buffer so if you delete the "extra characters", you lose).

Strange, I've never had any of these problems. The only weirdness I
see is that the font of the preedit text and the font that Mozilla
uses don't match. Not really a problem, although it's kind of
disconcerting to see the text suddenly expand by a couple of points
when I've finished the kanji conversion.

I wonder if the person who wrote XIM into GTK was using some sort of
CreateWindowDisplayingUnrulyFocusBehavior() call. I *have* had all
sorts of similar problems with other GTK apps and xim, but all of
them were solved by training my window manager to deal with the
preedit window-thingy. Some WM's work better than others -- as one
might expect, the more visually, uh, "exciting" WM's seem to have the
most trouble.

john
--
jseebach@example.com