Re: tlug: Python GUI toolkits

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 01:56:06PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> However, GUI bindings for Python seem to suck.  I haven't tried
> python-wpy yet, but tkinter is a hog, not object-oriented, and
> undocumented (ie, I can't figure out how to make it do what I want to
> do);

tkinter is still the community's "default" GUI, despite its lack of object
orientation.  There is a lot of code and documentation written for it giving
a significant head start.  And it runs on X and Windows acceptably nowadays.
Have you read Fredik Lundh's _An Introduction to Tkinter_?
http://www.pythonware.com/library.htm  Part of _Python and Tkinter_ is also
available online http://www.manning.com/Grayson/index.html

> python-gtk doesn't seem to work (ie, there are reasons to suspect
> I _can't_ make it DTRT), has a sucky API, and is undocumented; and

I've only recently started playing with pygtk.  It was easy enough to do
the simple thing that I wanted for my first app... but I've only scratched
the surface of Gtk programming.

> wxPython, while it works and is pretty well-documented (the underlying
> wxWindows API is quite well documented, eg compared to Gtk---despite
> being built on Gtk for Linux!---but the Python bindings are not
> clearly documented), has a semi-sucky API (keyword arguments are not
> supported) and is REALLY easy to crash.  (One big advantage to

And lags the wxWindows development (which can be a problem if you are trying
to use the Mahogany mailer I mentioned recently... since then you need to
keep two sets of wxWindows happy)... but is quite cool when it works and you
have a "native" looking application on both X and Windows.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA