Re: tlug: directions...

    >> But, how can you base your distro on Debian, which is the most
    >> flexible/configurable distro out there (IMO)

    Austin> *Cough choke gasp* Since Debian uses bianry packages, it
    Austin> doen't qualify for this title.

Of course it does.  As I pointed out elsewhere, you _can_ do the
binary package thing with Debian, you can also start with a system
much smaller than GFL and build everything from source.  That is
_flexible_.

I'll grant you "configurable", though.  Debian used to be more
configurable, but I think they got punch drunk from bitching about
"how can you do LaTeX without Emacs/AUC-TeX" and tightened up the
dependencies too much.  Now it's hardly better than Tubbalinux or any
of the other RotundPM distros.  Despite the splintering of perfectly
sensible packages like netbase into 23 servers and 23 clients.  (OK,
it makes sense to separate out the r* stuff, and the servers.  But
package-per-program is going a bit far, at least if they don't redo
the database structure.)

    Austin> "here is the source tree patch the Makefiles and
    Austin> components for whatever optimisation/debugging options you
    Austin> like and rebuild it yourself" ;-)[1]

In Debian, it should be possible to do

CFLAGS=-O\pi -froll-drunks -mCrayXMP
LDFLAGS=-when-i-say-static-i-mean-static-dammit

in ~/.bashrc, and then `cd $PKGSRCDIR; debian/rules build', but I'm
not sure whether debian/rules will pass those on as it should.

Hey, does anybody else remember the BOGUS distribution where you used
to be able to say "make Universe" and 42.6 hours later there was Light?

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA