Re: tlug: directions...

Hi,

Whew 45 messages in a day has gotta be a record.

Jonathan wrote:
>Does that mean you're volunteering to transcribe it all into your
>laptop?  :-)  Don't worry, though, the list is archived and searchable
>through a web interface.
Updated hourly actually, I'll gather everything up and collate it in a
semi-intelligent manner sometime within the next month or so.

>Chris still works on XFree86, and Austin has his own distro, Green Frog
>Linux (and it ain't for newbies! :-)   Boti wrote Gjiten, a very nice
Austin also does BSD -> Linux backports in his spare time. (Eg: the BSD-
fileutils that's been sitting on the backburner for a while).

Jack Morgan wrote:
>But, how can you base your distro on Debian, which
>is the most flexible/configurable distro out there (IMO)
*Cough choke gasp* Since Debian uses bianry packages, it doen't qualify
for this title. (Although I do see where you're coming from).  Take a look
at ROCK/GFL/et al which basically say "here's a system that boots and lets
you compile stuff, get to work" ;-) (the BUILD project that I'm working on now
takes this further to the point where it is basically "here is the source tree
patch the Makefiles and components for whatever optimisation/debugging options
you like and rebuild it yourself" ;-)[1]

Joachim in a seperate thread wrote:
>We claim to be the easiest to install and administer distribution on the
>Planet.
How ironic......

Yours,

--
Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group / Green Frog Linux Maintainer / BUILD Linux Project

[1]:Security through obscurity, protecting Linux from Mac users ;-)
Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA