tlug: directions...

okay, rpms aside, here is a question for you. Where is linux going and
where do you want it to go (today/tomorrow/the day after)? It seems from
the rpm discussion that people don't particularly want mr doesn'twannaknow
to end up using it as his desktop for various (mostly security related)
reasons, but is it heading that way?

Are the distributions pushing the desktop path more and more or is it one
set of developers? Who wants an easier to install linux? Who wants it easier
to maintain? Who cares about linux desktop and if it has one or not? Why
shouldn't one or two distros of linux cater for people who don't know how
it all works, but moved over because it was free and easy and did everything
that ms did and more [1]. There will always be a distro for those who wanna
know everything of what's going on by the very nature of linux. But if a
couple of distros got the security/services, ease of use thing down, then
what is wrong with the don'tcares using that distro of linux? After all if
it does all they want and more and is secure in doing so, then why not?

I guess there is no complaints on the server side...

I'm new to the list so I don't know any of you yet but it will be great
to hook up and talk about what we all use linux for and what we wanna use
it for going forward. It might be interesting to put such contents on the
tlug site. I'd also love to know if there are those of you who dabble in
source and contribute to the various opensource projects. This would be a
cool thing to put on the site too, a kinda who is doing/did what. Anyway,
I'll be there the 16th so if you can find me, feel free to give me a dig.
(a punch on the arm for those not aquainted with the Irish version of the
English language, not the utility :-)

Cheers,

Tom.

[1] future speak here in terms of a distribution that is ready for the herd
in terms of safety, security, configurability etc, etc. It already does a
lot of things that ms does (and more, and less too)
--
Thomas O'Dowd
tom@example.com