tlug: Future (was RPM...directions)

Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> okay, rpms aside, here is a question for you. Where is linux going and
> where do you want it to go (today/tomorrow/the day after)? It seems from
> the rpm discussion that people don't particularly want mr doesn'twannaknow
> to end up using it as his desktop for various (mostly security related)
> reasons, but is it heading that way?

I don't think there is a "Mr. doesn'twannaknow" who would even try Linux
in the first place. All the people I know who "don't-wanna-know" are
usually adviced to get a Mac or Win box(eg. my neighboor who just wants
something to use for his work) IMHO, those who initially try Linux are
interestd in it because it is a "get-under-the-hood" OS. Some are bitten
by the Linux bug and others aren't. That is the start, which is what, I
think, Jonathan was talking about. I use Debain and belong to it's user
mailing list. There are a lot posts that say "look under the hood for me
and tell me how to fix it because i don't want to". This is what, I
think others on this list really don't want to see.

--
Jack Morgan
A small fish learning to swim with the piranha

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA