Re: tlug: rpms

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 06:26:57PM +0900, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> Most of these people aren't tinkerers, they don't want to know how things
> work, would die of fright if they had to compile something or look at a
> configuration file. gnome, kde, package management programs like rpm are all
> making it more and more possible for people like these to use linux instead
> of ms.

Man, you are pushing _all_ of my buttons with this one.

Suffice it to say that I vehemently disagree with the dumbing-down of UNIX,
which is your essential statement here.  If they can't deal with learning how
things work, they shouldn't be using the bloody system.

> Perhaps someday, rpms or a newer technology will be good enough for the
> geeks too.

No chance in hell.

-- Chris
Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA