Re: tlug: rpms

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 09:33:08AM +0900, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
>
> > I think anyone in TLUG will probably want to download the rpms straight
> > and go for the manual install.
>
> To hell with that.
>
> * Thou shalt not install precompiled binaries.
> * RPM != Linux
> * RPM != manual install, for that matter.

I concur, with one caveat - it's probably ok for most people to download
the .src.rpm and do an rpm --rebuild on YOUR box, so you know that
everything is compiled and linked against your libraries with your
compiler and such.  Doesn't hurt to read through the .spec file as well
before doing so and checking things out.  You should probably also edit
the Release field and change it from what it is now to what it is now plus
your initials (ie, '2' becomes '2sms' for me).  That way you can tell by
querying the RPM database later which RPMs you personally broke and which
ones you can blame the distribution vendor for :)

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA