tlug: lots of thanks, a few successes, lib question

First of all thanks a lot for the many helpful answers to my many previous
questions!!! I finally managed to install the ethernetcard-module, dhcp and to
access the net.

Now I have a new question: I tried to update xserver-svga with apt-get but was
warned by Grisu (debian.org) that the new xserver might need libs that are
incompatible with slink and that in that case I should not proceed with
installation. Now I am afraid that this is the case, but to be 100% sure here is
what this program wants to install or remove:

  libncurses5 xfonts-scalable libglib1.2 xbase-clients xserver-common

  xfonts-75dpi libstdc++2.10 cpp xfonts-base base-passwd makedev zlib1g

  xfonts-100dpi xlib6g libc6-dev libc6 binutils ldso

The following packages will be REMOVED:

  timezones g++ g77 libtool libstdc++2.9-dev gcc egcc checker gobjc

  libncurses5 libstdc++2.10

18 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 9 to remove and 384 not upgraded.

The question is: do I want that or not? What can happen? It seems I need the new
xserver to get X working ... Does that mean I have to get the newest debian
version also? I don't mind, if it is stable .. is it?

Thanks a lot in
advan

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA