tlug: Re: Xconfig problems

    Ulrike> Giving my boot disc "linux 2" at the prompt (as I think I
    Ulrike> read somewhere as well) to make it start in runlevel 2
    Ulrike> does not have the expected result, xdm gets started again
    Ulrike> ... what can I do? Reinstall?

Tell the boot disk "linux s rw" at the prompt, I think.  That gives
you a single-user system, and drops you right into a root shell (maybe
prompting for login).  Then you can make X optional as follows:

Pick a runlevel, say 3, where you _don't_ want X to run, and do (as
root)

rm -i /etc/rc3.d/S*xdm

and answer y to all the prompts (should only be one, of course).  I
think * = 99 but the wildcard will work.  After that, "linux 3" at
boot will give you a no-X boot, with the regular login prompt.

Why Debian starts xdm in all all runlevels, I dunno.  Pretty dumb, if
you ask me.

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA