Re: tlug: linux and Japanese language

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 09:56:03PM +0900
Hector Akamine wrote...

> - Are cannaserver and wnn (jserver) exclusive ? (is it wrong or is it a
> waste of memory to have running them both?) If I have both running, how can
> I choose which one to use when inputting japanese characters.

They are not exclusive, but there is not much sense in running them aloong
each other, cause they offer same functionality. Also you coul'd use only
one of them at a time, by starting kinput2 with the apropriate option
(if you have a wnn AND canna supporting kinput2 binary)

> - When I run kterm (after executing kinput2) I am able to enter japanese
> characters when I press shift+spacebar. The problem is with the conversion:
> in most cases I don't get the correct kanjis or katakanas. Is there
> something like MS-IME that shows me a window with the conversion candidates?

That's funny. Usually there should be such a window.
What Window Manager are you running? It could be hiding that Window.

> - I can enter Japanese characters in netscape using cut & paste from a kterm
> window. Is there a way to enter Japanese characters directly?

You need a properly written Netscape resource file. I'd suggest you check out
the Netscape RPMs of Kondara MNU Linux (www.kondara.org), they are supposed to
have the best japanese-capable Netscape. Or try Mozilla.... (works for me)

--

	Oliver M. Bolzer
	oliver@example.com

「重力に魂を引かれた人々に未来はない」

GPG (PGP) Fingerprint = 621B 52F6 2AC1 36DB 8761  018F 8786 87AD EF50 D1FF
Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD