Re: tlug: linux and Japanese language

"Hector Akamine" <akamine@example.com> writes:

> - Are cannaserver and wnn (jserver) exclusive ?

Probably not. But I don't know really, I'm using Canna now and
used Wnn previously, but didn't try to run both servers at once.

[...]

> If I have both running, how can I choose which one to use when
> inputting japanese characters.

>From XEmacs compiled with support for Wnn and Canna, try

   M-x select-input-method RET TAB

and select an input method for Wnn or Canna.

> - When I run kterm (after executing kinput2) I am able to enter japanese
> characters when I press shift+spacebar. The problem is with the conversion:
> in most cases I don't get the correct kanjis or katakanas. Is there
> something like MS-IME that shows me a window with the conversion
> candidates?

Works for me. After entering some kana, the space bar converts to
kanji. If they are not yet correct, pressing the space bar again opens
a selection window. Keep pressing SPACE until the korrekt kanji is
highlighted in the selection window or select with the mouse. Then
press RET. Alternative to open the `Candidate Selection' window by
pressing space, you can use Control-p and Control-n to loop through
the list of candidates without opening an extra window.

Doesn't it work like that for you?

> - I downloaded and compiled xemacs (21.1.9) but the problem is that I can't
> insert Japanese characters. I think that when I run configure (before
> running make) I need to enter some parameters to support Japanization. If
> it's true, which parameters do I have to set?

Yes, there are configure options. Here is how I run configure for
XEmacs as an example:

./configure --prefix=/opt/stow/xemacs-21.1.9 --with-mule=yes --with-dialogs=athena3d --with-xface=yes --with-wnn=yes --with-canna=yes --with-xim=xlib --with-xfs --with-menubars=lucid --site-includes=/opt/include --site-libraries=/opt/lib --cflags="-g -O4 -fno-strength-reduce"

Call `./configure --help' to see a list of possible options.

> - I can enter Japanese characters in netscape using cut & paste from a kterm
> window. Is there a way to enter Japanese characters directly?

I don't know. I heard that there is a special Netscape version called
`Muriyari Netscape' which can do this, but I didn't yet try it.

When searching for Muriyari Netscape recently, I stumbled on a tarball
with Japanese extensions for Commumicator 4.6

   communicator-ja-euc-v46-export.x86-unknown-linuxglibc2.0.tar.gz

I installed this, but I only gave me nice Japanese Menus and korrekt
Japanese on buttons, but still no Japanese input.

To my great surprise, Japanese input using kinput2 and XIM worked `out
of the box' with Mozilla-M13 though.

Another option is the text based browser `w3m'. If you run it in a
kterm or an rxvt compiled with support for XIM, you can input
Japanese.

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@example.com>   <mike@example.com>

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD