Re: tlug: log emails and netscape bus error

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Yong-Ming Hua wrote:

> Hi it is Yong-Ming
>
> There are two problems right now in Turbolinux.
>
> 1) How can I stop syslog emails at all? They are being
>     sent every top of hour to me like,
> Unusual System Events
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Apr  1 02:01:02 duncan tcplog[265]: port 113 connection attempt from
> kelvin.lit.tamagawa.ac.jp:1869
> Apr  1 02:01:09 duncan udplog[273]: dgram to netbios-dgm from
> 202.253.192.48:138 sz=228(+28)
> Apr  1 02:01:13 duncan udplog[273]: dgram to netbios-ns from
> 202.253.192.48:137 sz=50(+28)
> Apr  1 02:01:14 duncan last message repeated 2 times
> Apr  1 02:01:14 duncan udplog[273]: dgram to netbios-dgm from
> 202.253.192.53:138 sz=216(+28)
> Apr  1 02:01:14 duncan udplog[273]: dgram to netbios-ns from
> 202.253.192.48:137 sz=50(+28)
> Apr  1 02:01:14 duncan last message repeated 2 times
> -------------------
> and also what bothers me a lot is messages such as
>
> errors occured while rotating /var/log/checkrad.log
> stat of /var/log/checkrad.log failed: No such file or directory
> ------------------
> I don't bother syslog emails but is it default? Can I just stop
> it at all? A kind of annoying stuff making my spool pump up.

the above stuff is from iplogger... do an /etc/rc.d/init.d/iplogger stop
and probably a 'chkconfig iplogger off' as well.

also do 'touch /var/log/checkrad.log' to get rid of the other one.

AND, stop using your system as root all the time :)

> 2) Whenever I use Netscape in Turbolinux I cannot use
>      Addressbook. When I try to choose to whom I send
>      a email by opening addressbook, not only composer,
>      but also all netscape related stuff disappear. I updated

> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape: line 3:  4125 Bus error

bad code, most likely.  Netscape for Linux isn't all that great.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD