Re: tlug: Mail directory

Content:

Since Debian does `ln -s spool/mail /var/mail', the symlink is
presumably safe.

Further raving:

    Shimpei> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> there by default.  I've never seen /var/mail/$LOGNAME.

    Shimpei> FHS 2.0 wants you to view reality differently:

    Shimpei>   http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-5.7.html

I haven't seen one in the wild yet.

    Shimpei> Solaris uses /var/mail by default, IIRC.

DEC OSF/1 does not, at least not on my institute's system.  Nor did
its predecessor SunOS 4.x + JLE 4.1.3.  Not even a symlink on the
current system.

Those may be decisions by the local management to support a legacy
file hierarchy organization, of course.

Interestingly enough, recent Debians (I mean like Feb 12th) do not
install mail there (this was a fresh install to a recently fdisked
drive), although they do provide a symlink.  (That's the Debian way of
saying "we're FHS compliant OF COURSE but THIS DOES SUCK don't YoU
knOw!!"  Compact idiom, isn't it?  :-)

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae