Re: tlug: Squid config

On  0, Simon Cozens <simon@example.com> wrote:
> Subba Rao (lists.tlug):
> >The only caching system is the linux system, the rest are hosts on the network.
> >Most are Windows and OS/2 boxes and will not be doing caching but will use
> >squid to access the Web.
>
> Then you want no cache_peers
>
> >Will this still cache the web sites that are being accessed?
>
> Yes. The `http_access' control list just controls who *has* access to it.
>
> >I checked the permissions on the directory and they are at rwxr-xr-x and are
> >owned by root:root.
>
> Squid is probably not running as root, in that case. RedHat, I believe,
> has a squid user; try chowning the directory to that.

Thank for replying and I have Squid running on my system. I still have a little
bit of tweaking to the config file but I will do that as I go along.

How does Squid keep track of the files being cached? How do we know if the cached files have
changed on the original server?

Thank you once again.

Subba Rao
subb3@example.com
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD