Re: tlug: c++ development tools

ulrike@example.com wrote:

> For a beginner learning c++ which c++ development tools would be best? I am
> allowed to spend some money. I thought everything should be avaiable on Linux
> but this assumption was met with suspicious looks on part of my boss. So I was
> wondering ...

Most (all?) Linux distributions contains g++ (Gnu C++) and emacs.
I would say that this is enough if you have some programming experience
and know c fairly well.

For a complete beginner it is sometimes nice to have a IDE where you
can single step and "see" the execution. This is also available for
Linux. I have not used them but I know there is some GUI wrapper for
gdb (Gnu Debugger, standard in Linux) and also a gdb-mode of some
sort for emacs.

I guess it is possible to spend money on tools for Linux but
it is much easier to spend money on tools for Windows. For
Windows Visual C++ sweeps the track with the competition right
now. I have never used it but afaik it is fairly good (for
Windows, that is ;-).

If you decide to run with Linux (and I recommend this because
it is much more fun) and you want to be serious about
templates, exceptions and namespaces you need gcc-2.95 or
newer. Templates sucks in <2.95 and exceptions and namespaces
are not implemented (or very non-standard).
Gcc-2.95 will probably become "standard" in most releases
really soon (if it is not already).

The most important parameter when you choose is why you
want to learn c++. If you are going to work in a Windows
environment, get Visual C++. In Windows COM, ATL, and MFC
are as important as C++ to learn.
If you are going to work on any other system or if it
is just for fun, use Linux.

/Fredric

PS.
Somebody told you to study assembler before c++. Just
make sure you understand he was joking. It's much like
studying road construction before you start driving
cars.
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD