tlug: c++ development tools

ulrike@example.com writes:
 > For a beginner learning c++ which c++ development tools would be best? I am
 > allowed to spend some money. I thought everything should be avaiable on Linux
 > but this assumption was met with suspicious looks on part of my boss. So I was
 > wondering ...
 >
 > Uli

I would say that gcc and (x)emacs should be enough. Especially if you are
a beginner, you shouldn't clutter up your mind with a fancy IDE. Those
are for people who want to write applications quickly and don't care
much about understanding. I guess that works for a while, but soon you
want to do something the IDE is not equipped for and you don't know
what to do, because you never learned what the IDE really does.
I don't want to sound like I am against IDEs, but if it writes most
of the code for you, soon you won't know how to write a program
without it.
So start with gcc/g++, learn about make and when you are done with
that look for an IDE that makes life easier.

Just my 0.02DM

Marcus

PS: Actually you should have a look at assembler first, because that's
where you learn what the c/c++ compiler produces and how your computer
"thinks". Makes working with pointers much easier. But I guess I just
want to know too much ... ;-)

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD