re: tlug: compatible NICs

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Dave wrote:

>  I used linuxconf to setup the IP address and my gateway, but I dont
>  think the settings are correct.  Anyway, ifconfig spits out lo, but eth0
>  doesnt appear.  If I use "ifconfig eth0" I get something like this:

eth0 is not listed by default means that the interface is either not set
up or is down.

>  eth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C6:F8:D7:17
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

No mention of the protocol or the IP address ==> address not setup.
The keyword UP will appear before BROADCAST if the interface is up.

You have to redo the setup from the control-panel. Do you see the
interface eth0 listed in the control panel's network configurator? If
so, is there a valid address listed? Also check whether the interface is
listed as active -- if not 'Activate'. If there is no IP address given
against eth0, choose the interface and press 'Edit'. Input the IP
address. Dont forget to save the changes when you are done.. Similarly
set up the default route by giving the gateway address. And please
*dont* reboot when you are done. Before that check the network by
pinging some nearby hosts (see below).

If that fails still, try to setup the interface by hand as follows:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 IPADDR

and add a route

/sbin/route add default gw GATEWAY

Here IPADDR is your ip address, and GATEWAY is the ip address of your
gateway. (I am assuming that your netwrok doesn't do subnetting
otherwise you may need to specify the netmask and broadcast addresses as
well -- see the manpages 'man ifconfig' and 'man route' if you have
trouble).

Then try 'ping GATEWAY' to see whether you can get thru. After that ping
some site outside your netwrok to test the routing.

Having said all that I must warn you that Redhat's control-panel may
refuse to do anything with such a manually set up interface. So you will
have to edit the configuration files by hand to save your set up for
future -- ie. if you ever need to shutdown and reboot the machine ;).
Where those files live depend on the distribution you are using. I am at
office now where I have an ancient Slackware that has been patched up
over the years, so my start up files wont help you.  I have RedHat 6.1
on my laptop so I can check and send you the files if need be. But I
urge you once again to try setting up from the control-panel before you
opt for this manual setup.

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD