Re: tlug: Silly Questions.

>Yong-Ming Hua wrote:
>> Now my question boils up to this,
>> Do you use Linux for you Word Processor?

I use mostly Win95 (sometimes FreeBSD) at work and Linux almost exclusively at home.

I don't do that much word processing, and that which I do is done at work on Win95 in Word. I really hate this because Word seems to crash on me at least twice a day. Maybe too much multi-tasking. :-) I try to do my part [:-)] by requesting people to send me files in plain text format. Then I just use a text editor such as NotePad or NoteTab. Not so pretty, but way lighter, way faster, and platform independant. I am trying to get co-workers to see it this way, and have had limited success.

>> Do you use Gimp more than PSP?

I would love to, but I haven't had the time to learn Gimp much yet. I would like to wean myself off of Photoshop, because that is about all that I use my Win95 box at home for these days. Once I learn Gimp, I won't even have to waste time booting the thing.

>> Do you use, at home, Linux for ppp session more than your Win/NT?

I use Linux exclusively, except for rare occaisions when Linux Netscape gets me so frustrated with bastardized form input that I resort to the Winbox just to get it straight. I am relying on Lynx more often in these cases now though. I am starting to wonder how Opera would work as a substitute.

I will probably use Win95 for some network gaming in the next little while, but not for much else.

>> Do you use database in Linux more than applications in Win/NT?

I use simple flat text databases in Linux more than any Win db applications.

>> I decided to ask this question simply because I saw a fact that so many
>> peopel write to this Mailing List using e-mail software for Win/NT, not
>> to mention my Netscape in this Win98.

I use web-based email, so it comes from Windows while at work and Linux while at home. Doesn't handle column widths so well though. :-)

Fredric wrote:
>I would not be surprised if this is typical for a professional
>Linux user. Windows is (so far) the leading office platform
>and you simply need some of the windows applications to be
>able to function. Very often I get MS-Word documents from
>business contacts. Nobody even bother to ask if you are
>equipped to read them, it is simply assumed. Personally I
>try to make a point to never send a MS-Word document, I
>convert to PDF.

I am trying to raise people's awareness that there are more file formats out there than just *.doc. So I try to convince them to shoot me *.txt or at the very least *.rtf. If they can't, I whine, complain, and then eventually accept *.doc. I'll break down and use it, but not before making sure they know that it is not the only format people use.

Shawn Gray
English/Japanese Translator
& Linux/Perl Gearhead
shawn@example.com

Culture & Technology in Tandem
Graycastle Intercultural Communications -> http://www.graycastle.com
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD