Re: tlug: Silly Questions.

Yong-Ming Hua wrote:
> Now my question boils up to this,
> Do you use Linux for you Word Processor?
Never. I use the evil empires products like MS-Word etc. Partly because
I never found any good WYSIWYG editors for Linux but mostly because
the rest of the world use MS-Word. It is a question of critical mass,
I suppose.
Not that I particularly like MS-Word, Excel etc. Far from it, lots of
small bugs and a new set of bugs with each version. But to be fair
the apps do their job 99.9% of the time.

> Do you use Gimp more than PSP?
N/A

> Do you use, at home, Linux for ppp session more than your Win/NT?
Oh yes. Never bothered to set up Windows for ppp. At home I use
Windows for games. And sometimes word processing.
Linux for surfing and playing with the SW toys (Perl, Java, Python,
apache, tcl/tk, expect, gcc etc. (so much fun, so little time ;-)

> Do you use database in Linux more than applications in Win/NT?
No. No Linux databases at all so far...

> I decided to ask this question simply because I saw a fact that so many
> peopel write to this Mailing List using e-mail software for Win/NT, not
> to mention my Netscape in this Win98.

I work with software development in Linux but I have two computers on
my desk, one NT box and one Linux box. I use PC-XWare on my NT computer
to connect to the Linux box. The main reason is that a large portion
of my work is done using Windows applications such as MS-Word, Excel,
Lotus Notes etc.
Ar work it makes sense to run Netscape in NT for me 99% of the time.

Basically, all I use Linux for is SW development. We use Linux as a
SW platform in our products (assembly machines for electronic
production) but other than that it is pure Windows.

I would not be surprised if this is typical for a professional
Linux user. Windows is (so far) the leading office platform
and you simply need some of the windows applications to be
able to function. Very often I get MS-Word documents from
business contacts. Nobody even bother to ask if you are
equipped to read them, it is simply assumed. Personally I
try to make a point to never send a MS-Word document, I
convert to PDF. There are several reasons for this but I
already wasted enough bandwidth on this..

/Fredric
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD