Re: tlug: X-ISP, ISDN and Linux

Julien Beasley (jbb@example.com) wrote:

> I have an ISDN line with a NEC terminal adapter AT165Pro. I can't seem to
> connect to my ISP (GOL). I've been using
> the really nice X-ISP program to dial. Before I had ISDN, I could dial
> fine with it.

> I've set up PAP with X-ISP. I didn't know what to put in the init string
> but I put in ATQ0V1X3$N1=1&D2&K3

The init string you're using has a couple of items that are different
than the one shown here:

http://home.gol.com/support/e/faq/init/

which is ATQ0V1X3$N11=1  (for 128k connection)
         ATQ0V1X3$N1=1   (for 64k connection)

Before I went over to using a router for dialup, I used that
128K init string to connect to GOL, also using an NEC AT65.
I don't know how that's different than your AT165, but it's probably
not terribly so.

However, I have never used X-ISP and know nothing at all about it
except it has cool looking screenshots, but I'm inclined to think
that if you're getting as far as dialing out, X-ISP is probably not
the problem.  But just out of curiosity, does it work of you don't
use X-ISP?

> The aterm will begin to dial the number and I'll get CONNECT 6400 (I
                                                               ^^^^
I hope there is actually another zero present in that number.  If not,
I think I see a problem  :-)

> assume that means it called and got a response?).
> But then it times out. Perhaps I'm not getting past the PAP step? I've

It looks like it's getting as far as initiating hardware handshaking,
but not completing it, maybe.  I don't think you're reaching the
authentication phase.  It would probably be useful to have you
post the full output of the handshaking.  If X-ISP gives you any
debugging levels (or verbose mode, or whatever it might call them),
please turn them on.  Also, send copies of your config files (is X-ISP
a frontend for chat?) and pap-secrets (remove your password first,
of course  :-) so they can be looked over for any problems.

I can look around on the machine that was my dial-up host back
then and see if I still have the chat scripts and pap-secrets
file around.  Maybe that will help.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne                                      Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD