tlug: mysterious X core / namazu

When I opened up my laptop this morning, apmd kicked
in and X crashed, leaving me in the console. I didn't
notice any helpful error messages on the screen at that
time (but I only had one eye open) and there
was nothing helpful in /var/log/messages. Bringing up X
again with startx, I found that everything was as it
should be (my setup brings up KDE and a few xterms and
kterms)

BUT, I had only two of four virtual screens. Killing
X with the three-finger salute (backspace not delete),
I wound up in the console again and became the proud
owner of a core file. This situation repeats itself
everytime I bring up and kill X, even after rebooting.

I looked around for possible causes but didn't
find much; course, not really knowing what to
look for doesn't help much.

I did notice that in /etc/fstab, the /proc line read
"none      /proc  proc  defaults 0  0 "
so I changed the "none" to "proc".

I also commented out
"/sbin/hdparm -c1 /dev/hda  # first IDE drive assumed"
which I had added as the last line of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit .
(is that not the right place for it?)

I also noticed something like the following error which
appears when Linux boots:

"remote filesystems.mount
Port mapper failure
RPC cannot send"

(this error message disappears; I can't see it when I shift pageup
from the console prompt, nor does it appear in dmesg. this means
I have to try to frantically jot it down when it rolls by the
first time on bootup. anyway to make this error message get
recorded somewhere?)

I am assuming that the above error is related to the fact that
I have an nfs line in /etc/fstab/ . Don't know how to fix whatever
is causing this, but have the feeling it is not the root of the
mysterious X core/only two virtual screen problem.

which persists.

Any hints would be very much appreciated.

-----------------------------

I have been fiddling around with namazu and found that it doesn't
want to index files that are larger than 5M (I have a few of those).
Is there anyway to force it to index larger files without changing
the file size limit in the source and recompiling?

* I am receiving this digest version of this list, so would
appreciate it if anyone who posts a comment or advice would
kindly cc it to laszlo@example.com .

Thanks!

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD