tlug: Linux DVD

Austin K. Kurahone writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I've been messing around with the Linux DVD code for the last day or so.
 > (Sorry, GFL's been on /dev/back-burner for the last week or so, I should
 > catch up over the weekend.)
 >
 > The current status is that I'm able to Authenticate the disk, but nist
 > (the Mpeg2 Player) chokes on the output piped over from css-auth (CSS
 > code *Gasp* *Shock*) spewing out a whole bunch of errors.
 >
 > My hardware is a Toshiba 3rd generataion DVD drive (32x CD, forgot about
 > the rest, ATAPI unfortunately), and I'm running linux 2.2.13 with the
 > following patches (SGI kdb, devfs v99.10, The dvd IOCTL patch hacked to
 > co-exist with devfs).  The DVD I'm using to test this is a Japanese copy
 > of Dr. Strangelove.
 >
 > Has anyone out there gotten dvd playback working?!?!

It works, but there is no more work being done on nist. They started
to write a new DVD player on livid which is called mpeg2dec.
Anyway, for nist or mpeg2dec it is important that you set the
processor option correctly, because different CPUs have different
enhanced instruction sets like MMX. For more information have a look
at  http://www.linuxvideo.org/, http://www.linuxtv.org/dvd/ or
http://home.germany.net/100-5083/index.htm.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
ZPR/ZAIK
Universitaet zu Koeln              Tel.   : +49 221 470 6010
Weyertal 80                        Fax    : +49 221 470 5160
D-50931 Koeln, Germany             e-mail : mocm@example.com
"Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!"
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD