Re: tlug: J email from linux to Win98

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

>     Stuart> When I send mail to people with Japanese systems, they are
>     Stuart> able to read the mail fine, it seems. However, when I send
>     Stuart> mail to my wife, who uses US Windows 98, with Outlook with
>     Stuart> the Japanese IME, it appears to her as dollar signs,
>     Stuart> graphics symbols and alphanumeric characters.

[...]

> 4.  Use Gnus with TM or SEMI.  TM has the same problems as with normal
>     Emacs Mail-mode, and SEMI-Gnus is known to do some very strange
>     things on occasion (same author as TM; Tomo cares far more about
>     the rights of characters (ie, moji) than he does about those of
>     human readers).

Not necessary any more. A new Gnus version with native Mime support
has been released, the current version is 5.8.4. You can get it from
www.gnus.org. It sends and receives Japanese mails just fine:

Japanese here -> 日本語

Even Japanese subjects are handled correctly (VM didn't send Japanese
subjects correctly when I tried last time).

> VM does IMAP now, but it treats it like POP3 and downloads it all.
> This might be unacceptable to you, but also might be worth a try.

Gnus 5.8.4 has a spiffy, new IMAP backend, which uses IMAP as intended
and leaves the mail on the server. I have not tried it myself, but
according to what I read on the Gnus mailinglist, it seems to work
very well.

Gnus also has the option to treat an IMAP server like POP3 and
download all mail.

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@example.com>   <mike@example.com>

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD