Re: tlug: One for the JIS experts?

> If "shall" means a rule of thumb by convention in English specs, I
> guess I should have rendered the Jse "to suru" as "must" instead

No, no.  I meant that `using "shall" in the requirements' is
the rule of thumb.  Or actually any recent book on
software requirements would definitely says that
all requirements should have the form of "The system shall..."
or "The product shall...".

There are even some tools that extract sentences
which includes the word "shall" in a text file,
to support writing the SRS (software requirement specification)
from a raw text document.

I'm studying software engineering here at the U.S.,
and was always wondering how I could write the SRS in
japanese, preserving the "shall" meaning.
"〜とする" might be a good way, but a little bit
awkward for me.

--- Kenichiro TANAKA