Re: tlug: PJE

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Eric S. Standlee wrote:

> I am concerned that with my present setup, English RH5.1 and
> canna/kinput2, I cannot print in Japanese, and I cannot gv and read
> Japanese...among other things I am sure that I haven't stumbled across
> just yet.  I would like the menus/commands/error messages in English, and
> the ability to use Japanese in EUC/SJIS/ISO-2022-JP freely.

What you need to do would take more time to explain than I have, but
what I suggest is that you install everything in PJE that you think you
will need.  Don't worry if you make a mistake, you can always install and
uninstall individual packages just as you do with English software.
PJE is not magic.  In particular, I suggest you install the "sample user"
package.  It contains things like .fvwmrc, .steprc, .xsession, etc.
If you have the appropriate packages from PJE installed you can
begin using Japanese right away.  You just have to copy over the
relevant config files to your own home directory.  That is the one
thing that I really do like about PJE.  To summarize my suggestion is:

1.  Install as many packages as you have space for.

2.  No matter what install the sample user package.

3.  Play with it to find out what you need and what you don't and
    make adjustments as necessary.

4.  Post specific questions to the list.

Rob

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691