tlug: PJE

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Gushee <matt@example.com> writes:

    Matt> Steve is exaggerating ...

I'm shocked, _shocked_ I say, that you could say such a thing, let
alone _write_ it and send it to an _archived_ mailing list where
people will be able to read it forever.

My reputation is no doubt in shreds.  Boo hoo hoo, boo hoo hoo....

Actually, on my system (teTeX + pTeX) TeX stuffs currently occupy (kB):

52611	/usr/lib/texmf
 8702   /var/lib/texmf
 2239   /usr/bin/*tex*

and that last is an overestimate (I leave it to the reader to guess
what that glob expands to besides TeX-related stuff).  There are also
surely bits and pieces elsewhere (eg, /etc and /usr/doc), but 60-70
MB, plus about 10 MB of transient storage (Postscript files are not
small, and a 20-page TeX document as spooled by lpr in HPGL (laserjet)
format often runs to 5 MB) should allow you to run a quite full TeX
implementation.

The full teTeX documentation (rarely useful in my experience; the
TeXbook and LaTeXbook are all I ever consult, but I don't use a lot of
the add-on packages like epsf.sty) lives in /usr/lib/texmf/doc, and
takes up another 10 MB or so (banished to /var/Archive/texdoc.tar.bz2,
so not in the du output above).

Altogether, about the same as a full-course Emacs or XEmacs, actually,
and much much smaller than MS Gordo (Espanol ObRef, of course).

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691