Re: tlug: RTFM and advice

>> My point is that even well-documented software can confuse users with
>> simple oversights like this.
>
>simple oversights on the part of the user, yes.  Anyone stupid enough to
>not figure this one out on their own really shouldn't be adminning a web

They seemed intelligent enough to me. When people download NT software they
don't expect the readme and install files to be talking about unix. The
"simple oversight" was including irrelevent documentation (or at least not
renaming them to *.unix).

>site in the first place, IMHO.  God help them when they try to add a
>virtual host or a password-protected directory, if they can't even use

You should try it in the commercial NT web servers. Find the right tab in
the dialog box and fill in the blanks. Then click OK (don't even have to
find the PID and kill -HUP it ;-). This is what the users trying out Apache
are used to. They are technical enough to understand how virtual hosts and
password protection works. They coming to Apache either because it's free
or because they want the added flexibility it offers. They just need help
translating their internal concepts into the correct directive or command
line.

Darren