Re: tlug: RTFM and advice

>installation instructions called INSTALL. So now we have a package
>with four different documentation files written by different people,
>all containing contradictory instructions, and none of them giving any
>clear indication as to the history of the package, or what has
>superseded what.
>
>Okay, you don't get that in well-maintained software packages like
>XEmacs or XFree86 or Apache. But I've seen cases very much like

For some reason the Apache for NT binary release includes all the unix
installation make files and readme's. I've seen half a dozen cries for help
on the newsgroups from people saying they followed the instructions in
install but it doesn't work.

It comes with files called readme, install and readme.nt. You might think
it obvious what they should read first, but here's a logical order to read
those files if you are a 95/98 user:
  1.Read install to install it
  2.Then read readme for how to use it
  (and skip readme.nt entirely because that must be something special for
NT users, not 95 users)

My point is that even well-documented software can confuse users with
simple oversights like this.

Darren