Re: tlug: RTFM and advice

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Darren Cook wrote:

> For some reason the Apache for NT binary release includes all the unix
> installation make files and readme's. I've seen half a dozen cries for help
> on the newsgroups from people saying they followed the instructions in
> install but it doesn't work.
>
> It comes with files called readme, install and readme.nt. You might think
> it obvious what they should read first, but here's a logical order to read
> those files if you are a 95/98 user:
>   1.Read install to install it
>   2.Then read readme for how to use it
>   (and skip readme.nt entirely because that must be something special for
> NT users, not 95 users)
>
> My point is that even well-documented software can confuse users with
> simple oversights like this.

simple oversights on the part of the user, yes.  Anyone stupid enough to
not figure this one out on their own really shouldn't be adminning a web
site in the first place, IMHO.  God help them when they try to add a
virtual host or a password-protected directory, if they can't even use
basic common sense to look at the files and read the right readme.  Yikes.
reminds me of the guy that broke off his CDROM loading tray cuz he thought
it was a cup holder ... (if that's even true, and not an urban legend).

Maybe someone should start a usenet group for tech support and
troubleshooting the human brain?  "Well, sir, you're going to have to
reboot it.  Turn the defibrillator to HIGH, put the paddles on the sides
of your head..."

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)