tlug: Sparc RedHat 5.1 tidbits

    Chris> * The kernel claims that it's 2.0.33, but the sparc arch
    Chris> stuff has been drawn from 2.1.86[1].

    Chris> * The glibc library that they include _must_ be run with
    Chris> their hacked 2.0.33 kernel.

Gak.  Will they ever learn?

	 "Red Hat Linux.  It may be broken, but it's first."

Any bets on upgradability?

    Chris> ... and they got their version out before I did, so I can't
    Chris> fault them.

Because you knew I'd do it for you, you devil you.  :-)

    Chris> [3] Which is really, really bizarre.  The glibc-2.0 branch
    Chris> didn't have much in the way of sparc32 support -- I'd been
    Chris> working against the 2.1 branch, with some headway.  Then
    Chris> out of nowhere comes a 400Kb patch credited to David Miller
    Chris> that gets glibc-2.0 most of the way there ...  for the
    Chris> sparc code guys out there, I recommend that you take a look
    Chris> at "sparc.patch" and "sparc2.patch" -- interesting reading.

面白〜〜い!!

And to think I was seriously thinking about not reading TLUG today.

Thanks, Chris!

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: