tlug: Sparc RedHat 5.1 tidbits

I've been digging through portions of the new Redhat distro for Sparc, and
have found a couple bits of interest:

* The kernel claims that it's 2.0.33, but the sparc arch stuff has been
  drawn from 2.1.86[1].  This means that the famous sun4c slowdown is
  probably fixed due to the 2.1 vm code ("probably" because I haven't
  dropped that kernel on my IPC -- I never saw the slowdown on my SS2).

* The esp (SCSI) driver only sort-of works with my SS2 (and the ELC, I
  hear).  Initial device detect works, then times out, then successfully
  resets.  This is probably due to the 2.1 arch code, as the real 2.1 does
  the same on my SS2, with the added feature of ending in a panic ;)

* The glibc library that they include _must_ be run with their hacked
  2.0.33 kernel.  Don't drop it onto a 4.2 system -- they mucked with the
  syscalls between the kernel, and it'll bite you _hard_.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

[1] Which breaks software that depends on the kernel version string to
    determine how to access various system calls -- ppp-2.3.5, for one.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: