Re: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> wrote,

> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Eric Standlee and Family wrote:
>
> > It is the modem on the 166Mhz Sony VAIO in case anyone
> > has this same computer or has a friend who does...
>
> If it's given that you have 2 serial ports in the computer (ttyS0 and
> ttyS1), and you know that /dev/ttyS0 doesn't work... have you tried
> linking /dev/ttyS1 to /dev/modem and seeing if Minicom can talk to it
> there??

The NotePC (there are at least two types with 166MHz)?  Or a
desktop machine?

On a VAIO PCG-723 (166MHz NotePC, A4 format), I use
/dev/ttyS1 for the builtin modem.

I have some problems, though. The internal modem seems to
make trouble when I simultaneously use an Accton PCMCIA
Ethernet card.  (And funnily this card is never recognized
during booting (or when inserted first), but only after
ejecting it and plugging it into *the other* PCMCIA slot.)

Manuel

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station