Re: tlug: SCSI Server Card

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > Those cards are garbage.  Of the two I have for testing... Linux will
> > generate a kernel panic and hang on bootup if there's more than 1 scsi
> > device connected to it (yes, I checked termination :) )...
>
> The cards aren't actually garbage ... the driver is garbage.  I prefer AMD
> to Intel any day, but AMD is pretty tight with docs.
>
> > I was kind of hoping for that buslogic card... then we can leave the 2940
> > in the tlug server.
>
> One can obtain a BusLogic (well, Mylex really) in Akihabara for about man
> yen.  I'd recommend that that 2940 goes _away_ ... I've had really bad
> experiences with the AIC-7xxx series (do _not_ mix them with Quantum
> drives).

OTOH, all my servers have AIC-7xxx cards, and they all work flawlessly
(well, I have one buslogic flashpoint in one of them in the USA...) ..
I've had really good experiences with them.  Besides, I wouldn't mix *any*
controller with a Quantum SCSI drive..

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: