Re: tlug: SCSI Server Card

    Scott> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

    >> One can obtain a BusLogic (well, Mylex really) in Akihabara for
    >> about man yen.  I'd recommend that that 2940 goes _away_
    >> ... I've had really bad experiences with the AIC-7xxx series
    >> (do _not_ mix them with Quantum drives).

    Scott> OTOH, all my servers have AIC-7xxx cards, and they all work
    Scott> flawlessly (well, I have one buslogic flashpoint in one of
    Scott> them in the USA...) ..  I've had really good experiences
    Scott> with them.  Besides, I wouldn't mix *any* controller with a
    Scott> Quantum SCSI drive..

Can we be a little more specific?  I inherited about 12GB of Quantum
SCSI drives (5 units) and 3 AIC-7xxx controllers a year or so ago (and
haven't seen any trouble yet; on the other hand, I've had two of four
WD Caviar drives and two of two ... what the hell was that, began with
an "M"---obviously, I don't _want_ to remember ... drives go
belly-up), and can't do anything about it until I get the next
infusion of your blood, ahem, Monbusho scientific research funds, in
late summer.  I may not be able to afford to do much about it anyway,
but at least I can arrange for the OS to be on something stable.

Like, what goes wrong?  How often?  Is it recoverable without buying
new hardware?  Etc, etc---inquiring minds want to know.

In general, a lot of us buy a hard drive a year, if that.  (I mean,
apart from new systems.)  It would be nice if the folks who have
experience with large flocks of boxes would give us the benefit of it
and let us know what has and hasn't worked for them (and how many
boxes they're talking about for statistical verity).
a word from the sponsor: