RE: tlug: Apache on Red Hat isn't working

Hi all,

On 17-Feb-98 Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>I had Red Hat 5 install Apache along with just about the whole
>kitchen sink, but something doesn't seem to be working.  It
>can't be accessed from anywhere,

I'm not sure how Red Hat does a vanilla install, but you need to
check the Apache conf files to see where the httpd server is
looking for connections and documents.

Usually in /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf (or something similar)
you'll find two files

access.conf in which you should look at
------------------------------------
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.

<Directory /hdd>
^^^^^^^^^^^^ - where is this directory on your machine
-----------------------------------

and in srm.conf

------------------------------------
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this
# directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other
# locations.

DocumentRoot /hdd

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a
# user's home
# directory if a ~user request is recieved.

UserDir public_html
------------------------------------

This will tell you how to access the files on your machine.

>Attempting access via Netscape just results in it waiting until
>the "server not responding message" comes up.

Are you sure Apache is running? What does

ps -aux | grep httpd (or maybe ps -aux | grep apache)

give you? You may need to start Apache manually. On my machine
it's:

/usr/local/etc/apache_1.2.5/src/httpd
-f /usr/local/etc/apache_1.2.5/conf/httpd.conf

Yours will be different. If apache isn't being started at boot
time, you can add the above (tweeked for your machine) to
/etc/rc.d/rc.M

HTH

Jim S.

Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
#include <disclaimer.h>
http://www1.harenet.or.jp/~schweiz/
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: