Re: Mounting NT Windows (bad superblock)

Leo writes:

   Well after sitting down last weekend , I got all
   the Kernel 1.2.13 installed from Slackware 3.0.X(I think) on
   /dev/sdb . Right before St Paddys Weekend (Won`t have time for linux) ;->>

   I even got the PPP connection working .
   Then I thought I be more Adventurous and I said I want to mount
   the NT Window Partition on /dev/sda
   Lo and behold I ran into Problems

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

   I`ve tried various mount options . I`ve read the FAQs etc. to no avail

	mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /dos
	mount -t hpfs  /dev/sda1 /dos
     etc.
   I get the following ERROR
	   "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/sda1" .
    or something like this

    If I type fdisk
    I see the disk is OS/2/HPFS format on /dev/sda

HPFS is a read-only format under Linux as far as I know.  Try adding
the "-r" flag to the mount command.

More guesses?  Why would someone using NT have an HPFS partition?  I
suspect that NT doesn't bother to set the partition type, or something
obnoxious like that.  Boot NT and see what it says the partition is.

The other possibility is that you're trying to use (or used to use)
OS/2's bootloader.  This is notoriously finicky, and perhaps it
insists on having an HPFS key in the partition table even if the
partition isn't HPFS.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi