Mounting NT Windows (bad superblock)

Well after sitting down last weekend , I got all
the Kernel 1.2.13 installed from Slackware 3.0.X(I think) on
/dev/sdb . Right before St Paddys Weekend (Won`t have time for linux) ;->>

I even got the PPP connection working .
Then I thought I be more Adventurous and I said I want to mount
the NT Window Partition on /dev/sda
Lo and behold I ran into Problems
I`ve tried various mount options . I`ve read the FAQs etc. to no avail

     mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /dos
     mount -t hpfs  /dev/sda1 /dos
  etc.
I get the following ERROR
        "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/sda1" .
 or something like this

 If I type fdisk
 I see the disk is OS/2/HPFS format on /dev/sda

 Has anyone any clues ??
PS: I have put lilo on a floppy not on /dev/sda

leo glynn
glynn@example.com