Re: [tlug] going from HTTP to HTTPS

On 2024年04月12日 15:00, the silly Charles Muller claimed to have said:
> Dear Tluggers,
>
> I run a web site (www.buddhism-dict.net) off of a Linode server.  My site
> was originally built many years ago, at a time when http was common.  The
> builder of my site passed away in a few years ago, so I am running it on my
> own nowadays.  Pressure has recently been building upon me to upgrade from
> http to https.  I have looked at a couple of guidelines, and it doesn't look
> too hard, but I'd be more relaxed if I could have a professional on board,
> to be sure that I don't mess things up.  I have a secondary backup site with
> which I can experiment first.
>
> So my question is: does anybody know of a shop, or of a team that I can go
> to to undertake this job?
>
> Regards,
>
> Chuck

Chuck,

This is very easy to do actually.
If you use Nginx or Apache2, you can install Certbot, and it'll do most
stuff for you.

If you use OpenBSD as the server OS, you can copy/paste
/etc/examples/acme-client.conf to /etc/acme-client.conf, edit
accordingly, and check /etc/examples/httpd.conf (or
/etc/examples/relayd.conf if your website is not a static HTML+CSS+JS
website) to see how it's done there.

So unless you intend on employing to maintaining the website and/or
server too, just employing to add an SSL certificate would probably be a
waste of money to be honest.

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html