Re: [tlug] OT: Japans digitilization

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 16:45, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 01:01:15PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > That's not what the American lawyers (not retained by Facebook) say.
> > They think Facebook is almost ready to pull out of Europe after the
> > recent decision knocking down the "safe harbor" device as not at all
> > safe.
>
> Facebook tried a "we might leave Europe then!", but that was ob-
> viously a bluff.  I would be surprised if they payed much taxes in
> Europe.. so nothing to loose.

They're threatening to pull out of Australia too. They and Google  are
in a pother because the competition commission has drafted a set of
enforceable guidelines under which they'd have to pay for items
scraped from newspapers, etc. It's supposed to be a consultation about
the draft, but their idea of consulting it to run banners on their
pages saying that the sky will fall in, searches will stop working,
etc. etc. Moi, I couldn't care much either way. I don't want money
handed over to the Murdoch Shitocracy, but then I don't exactly
support these creeps who charge us billions for advertising, then
account for it offshore in low-tax havens. A pox on them all.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University

Home | Main Index | Thread Index