Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On 28/8/20 4:23 pm, Jim Breen wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 17:07, Edward Middleton
<edward.middleton@example.com> wrote:

This is not to say things are any better in Australia.  I was shocked at
how hard it is to renew an Australian passport in the Australia capital
when you are not an Australia resident, and that was before COVID-19.

What exactly was the issue? They didn't want to mail it to an address
outside the country?

I was in Canberra visiting my parents. DEFAT require my to provide the address of my Australian residence which I didn't have not being an Australian resident. Apparently they had never conceived of this happening so no-one knew how it should be handled.

Various people just suggested I lie on the form that threatens serious legal consequences if you lie on it. My concern was that stating I was an Australian resident could have Tax implications.

I was also renewing my Daughters passport which was even worse because they didn't know what they needed because the Australian Embassy in Japan handles all that. Children's passport renewals are also treat the same as initial passport applications so they require a lot of documentation.

Edward

Home | Main Index | Thread Index