Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 1:43 PM Curt J. Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2020-08-25 19:34 +0800 (Tue), Raymond Wan wrote:
> > A potential intern usually would answer by saying it's "free labour" for
> > them...and that is furthest from the truth.
>
> Would they? How horrible; I guess internship is misunderstood from both
> sides. (Well, on they employer side they may understand what it's really
> supposed to be about and still just be exploiting the interns anyway.)

Hmmmm, well, I can't speak for all interns but I guess some see an
internship as (a) a reference letter; (b) future job contacts; and (c)
all their friends are doing it, so why not them.  At least at the
university level (though in different countries), I see these 3 more
than before.  It's almost like they don't see a professor any
more...from day 1, they see a walking, talking, future reference
letter...  :-)

Of course the first two are valid reasons, but it would be nice if
they realised that a prospective employer could have gone with a paid
position (as you said below) or, at least, a local intern.  So if
you're an overseas intern, you're really lucky so try to do a good
job...  :-P

> You're certainly correct that interns generally cost money, and it's
> cheaper to hire permanent "low-level" staff if you have stuff that needs to
> be done that interns would be capable of doing.

As a somewhat low-ranking person, I've had to train or know people who
had to train someone.  If you're just a summer intern, how much time
is spent training someone before s/he leaves?  It's quite costly
indeed...

Though we have to keep doing it because if universities aren't helping
teach the next generation, we can't expect companies to.

Ray

Home | Main Index | Thread Index