Re: [tlug] Unzipping archives with japanese filenames in an unknown encoding in a smarter way?

Hello Claus,

I was just about to answer to the other thread about locales (that
filesystem and ZIP files do present challenges), but you got a more
specific question to my answer, LoL!

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM Claus Aranha <caranha@example.com> wrote:
> What is the best way to unzip a file that may have filenames in
> Japanese in an arbitrary encoding and avoid getting mojibake?

While there is no generic solution (except patching the code itself),
I have a script that I use, after years of fighting with the problem.
It is packaged for Gentoo, but you can see/edit what you need:
https://github.com/thinrope/gentoo-nifty-scripts/blob/master/usr/local/bin/jzip
There is a lot of "UI", the script actually starts around line 96 and
uses iconv and convmv to do the translation.
So far I have not found any bugs, but if you do - feel free to add to
the issue tracker.

Cheers,
Kalin.