[tlug] Unzipping archives with japanese filenames in an unknown encoding in a smarter way?

Claus Aranha writes:

 > What is the best way to unzip a file that may have filenames in
 > Japanese in an arbitrary encoding and avoid getting mojibake?

I wrote a customized version of zipfile.py, so I can list the names
before checking, but I suppose you can do the same with your version
of unzip.  It's blocked in review for irrelevant reasons (the reviewer
wants the CLI of python -m zipfile improved, but then disappeared from
the thread).[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  It does not write such zipfiles, only read them.  I hope Ubuntu's
unzip doesn't write them either!