Re: [tlug] Journals, Authors and 'Free Peer Review'

Hi,

I've been trying the "let's agree to disagree" tact for a while but I guess I was doing too indirectly. I'll try to be a bit brief but, indeed, "let's agree to disagree" should be the overarching summary...

On Monday, October 01, 2018 09:26 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Raymond Wan writes:

  > (Looking back at my previous message...)  We were
  > hypothetically talking about me being a referee and looking
  > at some paper which has not cited an ArXiv paper.  Do I
  > point it out to the author?
If the engine doesn't allow that, of course it's perfectly OK to
ignore ArXiv items in the response.  The important thing is that
you've made a decision in principle and *before* searching to ignore
ArXiv with prejudice.  And yes, this is prejudice, but it's
unavoidable.  It's important to do it consciously and to occasionally
test the principle, to avoid descending into bigotry.

Hmmmmmm, I fear if I say "no", this whole discussion will then descend into a "but you said...". So, to satisfy the trap that you set for me, I'll go with you and answer your accusation with a "yes".

That is, I am explicitly ignoring papers in ArXiv.

My reasons are as follows, but it's ok if you don't agree with them. In general, I don't trust work that hasn't gone through peer review. Peer review might be flawed but I would surmise that a peer reviewer might check a paper far better than someone citing it. S/he has his/her reputation [with the journal] at stake. And his/her entire field. Is this being cowardly and literally "passing the buck"? I've created another trap and sprang it for you as bonus...my answer is "yes".

Do I make exceptions to this "rule"? Yes, of course. An actual example from my former area of compression is the Burrows-Wheeler transform. As far as I can remember, the paper to cite was a 1994 technical report from the company which the two authors worked at. Yes, this wasn't peer reviewed. But the decision to cite it was "easy" for me because by the time I came around to the research area, this paper was highly cited.

In fact, it is possible in my current area of research to have some method that many people use. And people then cite the software (i.e., the GitHub repository). When the paper finally appears, even if it was ArXiv, people will cite that.

So, if you're trying to ask me if my prejudice has exceptions, then yes as well. At least 3 types of manuscripts appear in preprint servers (let's generalize as what I'm talking about is preprint servers and not necessarily ArXiv. For example, in my area, we use bioRxiv but I didn't mention that).

1)  The authors chose to not carry it further for publication.
2) The work was actually rejected by somewhere and the authors want to plant a metaphorical flag to indicate the date that they did it. Sometimes it is obvious because the manuscript has been formatted according to a conference or journal's specifications.
3)  The work is going to submit it somewhere soon.

When you look at a paper in a preprint server, you don't know which of these 3 it is. 1 + 3 means that it hasn't gone through peer review. In fact, who knows when 3 will actually happen. 2, on the other hand, means someone rejected it.

What would help me (i.e., a step in the right direction, but not necessarily would change my mind immediately) would be if the authors submitting it indicate which one of the 3, or if there is another reason, that they are submitting it.

We mentioned about how nicely the papers may be formatted it. They might be, but they don't have to be. Nevertheless, this piece of information is not mentioned. That is, why did they submit it to a preprint server.

  > But this thread started (I think) because of my reply to Benjamin's
  > suggesting that it is really great.  I don't agree with that and I
  > think it's worth saying why.
That's fine.  But you haven't done so so far.  Instead, you've asked
why you should change your mind, and there have been two things,
whether you should cite and whether you should publish, both of which
you seem to be very negative about, but not for reasons that I really
understood.

Well, no, I never asked why I should change my mind. If you and Benjamin left me alone, I would have been quite ok with it.

Again, I have no intention to change his or your minds. Surely, if the 3 of us were co-authors on a piece of work then, alas, we need to find a way to resolve it. But lucky for the 3 of us :-D, we aren't working together so this is really just a friendly discussion.

For anyone who is still reading this, you two present your reasons, I present mine. If someone looks at it and says, "Ray is full of fluff in his reasoning"...that's ok!

I will admit that I am talking about preprint servers as I currently view them. Perhaps they will change some day to address the issues that I raise but also in that survey I mentioned (which, for what it's worth, I did answer before seeing what everyone else said -- so, yes, I was curious and wondered if my views were alone).

Many universities also have graduate students submitting technical reports into their local university's electronic repository. These are usually also not peer-reviewed and, yes, I would consider them no different than a preprint server. Usually, they will then get peer-reviewed in the form of thesis examination. In fact, I think supervisors ask their students to do such technical reports to get them writing... ArXiv is hosted by well-known university; bioRxiv is as well...I don't think that changes things.

  > Personally, I think these are all legitimate reasons, even
  > the ones that I didn't single out above.  In particular, #2
  > is actually a good reason that I didn't think about -- being
  > scooped.
Scoops happens legitimately, too.  I recall a case where I was at a
seminar where an open problem was discussed.  A few months later, two
very senior researchers independently solved it in essentially the

> Life isn't fair. Not to me (I didn't get a good review), not to my

Life is like that.  This happens all the time; I told you another of
my editor stories earlier.  He preferred a long lynching to a short

I cut what you said above because I totally agree. And have been scooped or know of people who have been.

Legitimate scooping is...well...life. I mean, with the number of people on this planet, the odds that two (at least!) are working on the same problem is very likely. The irony is that the work has to be peer reviewed. So, the editor needs to find people who know the work well enough to comment. So, it's impossible for one group to be working in complete solitude.

Preprint servers aside, it is possible to give a poster session and talk about one's work. To someone who knows your area, a single poster is enough for someone to scoop you.

We've digressed back to "why not submit" and not "why not cite", but that is why I wouldn't submit *and* why I wouldn't talk about my work too prematurely unless it's too someone I trust. I've been to seminars by an external speaker who says that it is unpublished work. And guess what...people (usually students :-) ) start taking out their smartphones and snapping pictures. It reached a point where the now very angry speaker asked them to stop.

Anyway, if it's a serious project...that is, not something that we're doing "for fun", then we do need to be careful. Yes, you are absolutely correct. "That's life!" But we should also do our part and not be careless.

  > Yes, they are expensive.  But if it's an open
  > access publication charge, then it has been included in the
  > project's budget.  And it's actually a small portion
  > compared to the cost of running the research project itself.
Speak for yourself, empirical guy.  For many social scientists,
especially the more theory- or policy-oriented variety, submission

Well, publication charges are at least predictable. In terms of how many and amount for each publication.

year on student loans.  At Japanese national universities, most grad
students are lucky to get JPY10,000 for a domestic conference and JPY
30,000 (30,000!!) for an international conference.

For what it's worth, in the life sciences, conference papers are not peer reviewed. So students rarely get to go to them at all.

  >   It's probably worth nitpicking when we're running out of
  > money at the end...  As for accessing the journals, the
  > library does pay for it; again, it's part of their budget.
Not any more: it's a prohibitively high share of their budget.  All
the universities in Japan are cutting back on everything but
ScienceDirect and friends because of the high cost of access to
journals.

Yes. That is true everywhere. I think each side (library vs publisher) is trying to figure out their bottom line. Once the publisher pushes too far and libraries start not subscribing, then watch them beg to have libraries want them again! :-)

We can't submit to a journal we have no access to... It would be funny to not be able to see our own accepted submission...but I guess that could happen.

I don't know how much of their budget goes to journals, but I do see less and less books being purchased...

I can understand why you personally might not submit to ArXiv, but
that discussion got mixed up in with the question of whether anybody
should search or cite work in ArXiv.  Referees aren't magicians, and
their incentives are almost entirely noblesse oblige.  Unrefereed
sources suffer from worse incentives, but they're not 100% unreliable.

Yes. I agree with this. Submitting and citing are two separate issues and this thread inadvertently merged the two. Though, actually, I didn't "question whether anybody should search or cite work in ArXiv (or a preprint server)". That is each person's choice and I never have the attention to ask somewhat what they should or shouldn't do. I only said that I wouldn't.

But there are exceptions, as noted above. Another obvious exception that I alluded to earlier is when there are co-authors involved since whatever is decided needed to be agreed upon by all those involved. That is true of both submitting and citing.

Of course even peer reviewed work has its faults. If it didn't, the word "retraction" wouldn't exist.

Ray