Re: [tlug] Journals, Authors and 'Free Peer Review'

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 01:39, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

I've been trying the "let's agree to disagree" tact for a
while but I guess I was doing too indirectly.  I'll try to
be a bit brief but, indeed, "let's agree to disagree" should
be the overarching summary...

As far as I can tell, the summary is that you are simply on the wrong side of history.

Or in Gorbachev's words, "Life punishes those who are late [in going with the times]".

Like it or not, but in the future, if you want a grant, you won't be able to publish your research behind paywalls, you will be obliged to publish open access, or else you won't get the grant. This is where it is heading.

"Frustrated with the slow transition toward open access (OA) in scientific publishing, 11 national funding organizations in Europe turned up the pressure today. As of 2020, the group, which jointly spends about €7.6 billion on research annually, will require every paper it funds to be freely available from the moment of publication."

Time for the strategy you are proposing is running out.

regards
benjamin