Re: [tlug] Installing from source

On 9/28/18 11:22 PM, Curt Sampson wrote:
You start to get into nightmares like this (changing libc on a system
is decidedly 'non-trivial') and you should really, really look to see
if you can run what you need in a Docker container.

Thanks for the advice.  The entire effort was beginning to resemble one of those Russian dolls where every change and update led to the need for another set of installed base programs, each with at least five unmet dependencies.  After three or four rounds, I decided to follow the advice of Mason Williams in his poem "How to Write a Sonnet"

"Hey, nonny, nonny, pissonnit"

Thanks to all of the changes I'd made to this PCs O/S and what appears to be some internal conflicts set in motion by VirtualBox (one issue) and Firefox HTML5 (a different one), I stripped the HDD and reinstalled from scratch.  After restoring my last known set of good settings, the problems I was futzing around to get rid of were no longer present.  So, going nuclear made a huge difference in productivity. (Please, no one tell that to Trump.)

CL